Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Adventures with the Lenovo Ideapad S10-2 Netbook - Part 5

(This blog was posted to myspace on Sunday, August 9, 2009)

Using the S10-2 netbook

After the last 3 days of testing the OKR system, I finally took the time to use the netbook. My favorite application and utilities were installed and the system was tweaked to my satisfaction. Overall, the netbook performed flawlessly and the more I used it, the more I liked it. The keyboard were just perfect - the screen size adequate (well, one can't complain - extreme portability comes at a price and some sacrifice on screen size is only to be expected).

One application, however, refuse to install because of the small screen resolution - this is the Canon Digital Camera Solution Disc software - which complained of insufficient screen resolution and aborts. I wanted to use the netbook to load pictures from my Canon PowerShot A550 digital camera and edit them. I especially wanted to use the photo-stitch utility supplied with the Canon software. Looks as if I'm out of luck here. Anyway, I have sent an e-mail to the Canon support helpdesk asking for a solution and hopefully they can come up with one. In the meantime, I discovered that Windows do allow me to transfer pictures from the camera to the netbook via a USB cable without using Canon's software - so all is not lost - now I need to look for a 3rd-party photo-stitch utility.

I will be taking the netbook tomorrow on a road trip and I will be testing its wireless capabilities and also its battery life. I wonder if there is a charger kit that work off my car's battery - if so, this could be a useful kit to own.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment